Giving baby a bath can become such a fun time for baby and parents, but the first few baths with your slippery little one can be tricky. Here are a few tips to keep bath time fun and safe.
- Make sure you have all of your “tools” within arm’s reach: towel, washcloth, bath soap, cotton swabs, lotion, etc.
- Use a thermometer to check the water temperature of the bath. It should be between 37 degrees C and 38 degrees C for a warm bath that doesn’t burn your little one.
- Many babies cry during their first few baths. Try calming them by gently singing or by rubbing water over their little toes.
- NEVER lift and carry an infant in a bather, bouncer, or tub. These products are not infant carriers and baby can fall out.
- Babies can drown in just an inch of water.
- NEVER leave a child alone in or near a tub. That means ignoring phone calls, text messages, doorbells, or other distractions. ALWAYS keep baby within your reach.